Welcome to our Blog

Welcome to our Blog

Ecclesiastes 4:12 (NLT)

"A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. THREE are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken."

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Thought of the Day

Last week I was at a dinner with some wonderful mothers who share in the journey of parenting multiples. I admire these women enormously in so many ways and enjoy sharing time with them. What I was surprised by was a specific conversation that centered around the latest and greatest toys and gadgets (Wii, American Girl dolls, Leapsters/electronics, etc.). As I sat and listened, I realized I was truly a minority since our family doesn't own (and don't plan to) any of these latest fads.

Honestly, whatever happened to good ol' fashion child's play? What's wrong with the $10 doll from Target? Can't we have our own FREE tea party at home versus going to Mall of America and paying $30 for a dinner with the $100 doll, not to mention the expensive clothes the doll must have? How about a $.97 coloring book and color crayons OR paint, a paintbrush and a piece of paper? How about going on a family nature walk or going outside to play instead of sitting in front of a TV screen that similates sports/exercise? How about taking time to sit down with books and read, and read some more to our children? Better yet, why not teach our children all the letters, their sounds and how to read themselves vs relying on a DVD or electronic device? Please don't get me wrong, I am not passing judgment on ANYBODY who has or uses these things, but rather asking, "why is our society placing so much emphasis on material possessions and fads at such a young age? Most importantly, why are we letting that happen?" We are the adults and we are the ones who are forming the very foundations of the next generation. I personally believe we need to ask ourselves as parents, "where do we want to lead our children? What's important; what's not?" And that's my thought of the day :)

1 comment:

Danette Fettig Halloran said...

Tina, You said it very well! I agree with you 100 percent.